Natural Home Remedies to Get Rid of Heartburn
Drink WaterBefore heartburn starts to bother you, drink a large glass of water. Do this as soon as you feel the first trace of the acid reflux. Water will push the acid back to your stomach, so that it will not turn into real heartburn.
Don’t Lie DownWhatever you do and no matter how bad you feel, you should stay upright when you have heartburn. Gravity will help bring the acid that goes to your esophagus back to your stomach. After a meal, make sure you don’t lie down as well. Bending over could also cause you to suffer from heartburn.
Chewing GumIf you already have heartburn and you have some gum at home, you’re in luck. Gums, most especially the sugar-free ones, can help give you relief when you are suffering from acid reflux. According to a study published in the Journal of Dental Research, those who have gastroesophageal reflux disease or GERD found relief when they chewed gum for about 30 minutes after eating.
Baking SodaSodium bicarbonate or simply baking soda has long been known to beat heartburn. The simplest explanation as to why it’s effective is because it is a base, which means that it can neutralize the acid in your stomach. To use this remedy, just mix half a teaspoon to one whole teaspoon of baking soda and a glass of water. Drink it and you’ll soon feel better. If you have regular acid reflux though, this shouldn’t be your go-to remedy because it is high in salt and could cause nausea.
Other Foods to EatYou can also eat the following to get relief from heartburn:
- Almonds: These are good for your digestive system and their oil can help neutralize stomach acid.
- Apples: A slice of apple can reduce the acid production in your stomach, so you don’t have to feel the burning sensation.
- Bananas: Because this fruit is a natural antacid, bananas can combat the high acidity of your stomach.
- Basil Leaves: Chew two to three leaves to minimize stomach acid. Basil can also relief nausea and gas.
- Ginger: Best known as a remedy for nausea, ginger can also cure heartburn. Add ginger to your meals to stop heartburn.
Share and Enjoy